September 17, 2020

The Fractured Foundation of Critical Race Theory

This is the 3rd post in a series in which we are addressing Critical Theory, Critical Race Theory, Intersectionality, & the ideological framework that these ideas support & promote. 


As I was trying to wrap up some final thoughts to follow up from my first post on Critical Race Theory & my additional thoughts on White Fragility, I realized that almost every single comment, refutation, or conversation I’ve had with anyone who wants to argue or pushback on something I’ve written or said - particularly regarding or saying that Critical Theory is antithetical to the gospel - is some version of “I fear that disregarding or undermining the good parts of Critical Race Theory (or White Fragility) by only pointing to the bad parts does more harm than good.” This is the most common defense or argument I’ve been presented: If you just point out the bad parts people will miss the good parts. 

The other thing I’ve noticed is that no one pushes back by actually defending these supposed good parts. No one is rushing to defend any of the ideals proposed or promulgated by this worldview. There’s just a fear that we might be doing damage to the good it can/could do. This is not a credible basis for arguing in favor of something. Especially for a worldview that has no foundation to stand on.

Let me share what I consider a comparative dilemma.

On one hand, if I’m talking to a Mormon I want to find common ground. This helps us connect. On the other hand, more than anything, I want them to see that we’re actually not on common ground. The “Jesus” they profess to believe in is not the Jesus in scripture. Their Jesus is not God; he was created by God. My Jesus - his crucifixion & resurrection - is sufficient for my salvation; theirs is not. They still have works to do. This is one of the myriad reasons that Mormonism is dangerous. This is why it’s considered a cult. It's anti-gospel. It's heretical. And in spite of this, many Mormons have no idea of the fallacies of their own belief system.

Critical Race Theory, Critical Theory itself, Intersectionality, White Fragility - these are all man-made ideologies that crumble underneath themselves. The answer to combat a “system” that would promote or foster a toxic practice or thought like racism is not to develop another faulty, poisoned “system” to attempt to defeat the first one. This is essentially succumbing to an idea like “If you can beat’em, join’em.” 


To be extremely blunt, I think we have to confront a major hurdle we face in even attempting to address this issue: White people feel bad. Really bad. Guilty, in fact. This issue is (as Shelby Steele describes it) white guilt. Many white people I know hurt for their black friends. And rightly so. They want to do something - to be part of the solution, not the problem. And much like we often do in our relationship with the Lord, when what we need is to pray, listen, & wait....we feel we need to do something, so it is in this situation. We need to feel like we’re doing something tangible. Accomplishing something visible. We want to feel that we've been part or the solution. And...we really want to get rid of that guilt! And herein lies one more problem: Critical Race Theory won’t allow me that freedom


Critical Race Theory & Intersectionality classify me as a white, middle-class, Christian, heterosexual male. I am the classic definition of the ultimate OPPRESSOR. On one hand, the only way CRT accomplishes its goal is if I move from oppressing to actually being the OPPRESSED. However, in the scope of Intersectionality I can never fully escape being the oppressor. So, for me, it’s a lose-lose situation. Unless….

Unless, of course...I denounce my faith, become a woman, attend enough diversity training courses, & (of course) allow the government to take more of my money so they can responsibly assist the oppressed with it, as I have no capacity to do on my own or in my current state. This would move me at least a good 3 spaces along in my level of moral authority.

I know many will read that and think or say, “Now you’re just being ridiculous!” Yes, it is ridiculous! But actually, no. I am taking these ideologies to their end conclusions. This is the depths to which this slippery slope slides. And it’s a long way down!

Friends, what becomes very clear if you can & will clean the window off just enough to look through it is that the Marxist foundation & motives of Critical Race Theory cannot be hidden or ignored. This ideology is absolutely not about striving for equality & restoration; it’s about reappropriating power & wealth. It’s not about empowering blacks through development; it’s about exploiting them through victimization. It also in no way frees a white person to be driven, motivated, or changed by anything other than guilt. And as Shelby Steele writes in The Content of Our Character, “…the fear for the self that is buried in all guilt is a pressure toward selfishness. It can lead us to put our own need for innocence above our concern for the problem that made us feel guilt in the first place. But this fear for the self not only inspires selfishness; it also becomes a pressure to escape the guilt-inducing situation.” (italics mine)

Now, I exhort you to consider all of that & then ask yourself: How is that not antithetical to the gospel?

If one person can never truly be free of being a victim & the other person can never truly be free of their guilt, where do you go from there? 

Finally, returning to the initial concern, let me now pose this question: 
What good parts of these ideologies are people concerned about sacrificing? 
What good parts are we afraid of neglecting in pointing out the bad parts? 

Going back to my previous question from my previous post: Where or how does Critical Race Theory mysteriously or miraculously solve a problem that is not addressed, confronted, defeated, or restored in & through the gospel? The answer is: Nowhere. It doesn't. And as I've stated, these ideologies are not consistent with the Word of God or the good news of salvation in Christ. Here's a very brief, but very well done video by the folks at What Would You Say? called Is Critical Theory Biblical? I encourage you to take 5 minutes to check it out.

If you begin with the standard of God’s Word, how are you reconciling this ideology?

Maybe that leads to the bigger question: Are you beginning with the standard of God's Word?

If so, what is it about this highly questionable worldview that a Christ-follower would feel the need to defend?

We all have to make the decision & answer the question: What’s the standard? 

What is it that everything else in life gets held up to, measured by, & weighed with? The one, trustworthy, life-giving, never-failing standard is the Word of God. It is our firm foundation! Always begin there.  

No comments: