February 14, 2018

It's Not That Simple

A few days ago, I was honestly caught off guard when I read this tweet from Desiring God:


After several minutes of prayerful consideration, I decided to respond/reply. Here's what I said:


In no way did I expect a response from Desiring God. That said, I didn't expect to receive so many words of thanks & affirmation from others over having the same reaction toward this statement. The problem with it (as I attempted to address in my response) is that mental health issues - whether it be anxiety, depression, or something even deeper or more severe - and more specifically their roots & causes - are way to numerous & complex to think that simply "fixing our eyes on the strength and beauty of God" will bring resolution. And moreover, the painful piece of this statement is the implication & idea that mental health issues begin with some sort of vain, narcissistic case of "staring in the mirror". I'm just not sure how you even have the audacity to write, type, say, or even think such a thing.

This morning, once again, another preacher has posted one more reckless, haphazard statement about depression:

Please don't misunderstand me for a second: there is no time in my life that I have leaned harder, dug deeper, and more desperately meditated over the Word of God than when I have walked through valleys of anxiety & depression. I don't know that I would have been able to keep walking without knowing that the Lord is "with me". That His "rod & staff" are the only things that comfort me. Here's the thing: Depression is NOT a result of "spiritual starvation". Anyone who makes this statement has obviously never truly struggled or wrestled with it. I'm no scientist & I am certainly not a doctor, but I do know that depression & anxiety (as I have dealt with them) are the result of a war going on between cortisol, dopamine & serotonin in my brain. When I had an anxiety attack last May, as the fight or flight trigger in my brain went off, cortisol is released, which begins telling the serotonin, "Hey, we don't need you guys right now. Take a break. Brian will be fine without you!" Serotonin believes it and hibernates. My heart races. My knees get weak. My mind fixates on one thing and won't let go of it. And the next thing you know...you're awake all night. And when you don't get sleep, it sets your mind, body, soul and brain up to be even more vulnerable than the day before.

I should make sure & clarify at this point that these moments - these nights filled with sleeplessness and confusion - are very often spent on the floor, in the closet, reading the Word, crying out to the Lord to "take all my thoughts captive" and with the desire to "set my mind on things above". The Word of God isn't a second thought or Plan B for where I should go for help. It's the first place I run.

But here's the thing: Once you've had an anxiety attack, you then begin wondering, "When am I going to have another anxiety attack?" And you trigger the whole fight of flight scenario all over again. 

I'm sharing all of this with you for several reasons. First off, I'm sick & tired of the idea being thrown out there - especially by pastors & preachers - that the reason any of us deal with anxiety is because we're ultimately not trusting God enough. And I'm sick & tired of the idea being wrapped up into catchy little phrases (that sound all neat & spiritual on Facebook or Twitter) that tell me or anyone else that the solution to depression is found in seeking the Lord just a little bit harder. Foolishness. How much harder do I need to seek Him? It's just not that simple!

Once again, let me repeat myself for clarity: Finding true peace, hope, and joy outside of Jesus Christ - outside of the Word of God & the Spirit of God invading your heart, soul, and life - is ultimately impossible. He is our hope. He is our peace. He is our joy! Trust Him. Call out to Him. Seek Him. He is the only one worthy of your praise, adoration, and your life being surrendered. He is faithful. He will never leave you, nor forsake you. He will walk with you, even "through the valley of the shadow of death."

But for some of you...you need help. You need to see a counselor. You need to see your doctor. You need to humble yourself & seek help. 

Some of us need to understand how to separate the things in front of us that we can change & the things off in the distance...that we have no control over.

Some of us need medication. I'm also sharing all of this with you because I have walked through it. Again. For the second time in my life, I'm now taking a low dose antidepressant. I started taking it right before Thanksgiving. One night right after New Year's, I was out with my wife. I remember in the middle of dinner putting down my fork, looking at her and saying, "I just realized. I feel like myself again." And I do. Last year was one of the hardest years of my life. Pride kept me tied up in knots for 6 months. But I am so grateful now for what the Lord has walked me through. And I hope that maybe it might help one of you face down this issue, seek the Lord, turn to someone else, and get the help that you not only need, but that is readily available to you. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a helpful word, Brian. I appreciate the wise balance between spiritual & physical health. I’ve observed that when Christians explain why they experience bodily brokenness, there can sometimes be a reductionistic viewpoint that boils everything down to either unseen spiritual reality or pure biology. I’ve experienced feelings of depression. I’ve never experienced clinical depression. At times, I’ve felt depressed because of exhaustion. I’ve also felt it because of walking in disobedience to Christ. It’s been caused by both bodily & spiritual reality in my life. I’m an embodied soul, so that makes sense. But it’s never been depression or anxiety in the sense you have experienced. I honestly think there is danger on both sides. On one end, when depression is reduced to just spiritual reality, people with bodily brokenness are washed in guilt & shame as they are told that their condition would improve if only they prayed more, sought the Lord more, surrendered to God more, etc. On the other end, when depression is reduced to just biology, people who have bred dysfunction into their lives and mired themselves in destructive & self-absorbed patterns are deceived into believing that their feelings of depression are purely biological and unrelated to the disordered patterns, priorities, and trajectory of their life. A big part of the problem is how the modern church tends to trade out deep, nuanced doctrinal clarity for lunchable platitudes & catch-phrases. I don’t think anyone can closely examine Romans 8 without concluding that bodily suffering is never as simple as just spirituality or biology. I enjoyed reading your post. Love you brother! Thank you for sharing.