January 21, 2008

Stop Talking & Start Walking

Today is Martin Luther King Day. It took me a lot longer than it should have to understand the profound and significant impact this man held not only on our country but the world over. I guess when you're 17 and in history class you're paying more attention to girls or "when is the bell gonna ring" and those things slip past you. I get it now.

But I couldn't help but notice the countless "gatherings" there were all over our country today to celebrate MLK. We had democrats gathered and republicans gathered and churches gathered and all kinds of groups coming together. I couldn't help but thinking, I bet if Dr. King saw all this going on he'd probably say, "What the heck are you all doing sittin in here, reminiscing and talking about me? Get out there and DO something! Stop talking about how things oughta be and go out there and make it a reality." I'm pretty sure the fanfare and politics would have been frowned upon.

I think Dr. King's dream is much closer to reality today than even a few years ago. And sure we need to continue to remember and honor his contribution to this nation and to our culture. But I think the best way of doing that is to BE change. MAKE change.

Talk is cheap. Stop talking and start walking.


Pride (In the Name of Love) U2
Early morning, April 4, shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last, they took your life
but they could not take your pride
In the name of love, one more in the name of love

1 comment:

Keith said...

Well said Brian. I think you hit the nail on the head. I couldn't figure out what my problem with MLK day was, but you said it for me. It's a little hypocritical to celebrate the man and not do what he called people to do.
Hmmm...sounds a little like some churches I know. We get together to celebrate the life of the man but don't really do what he called us to do - get off our lazy butts and change the world.