September 20, 2010

Worst Case Scenario

Several months ago I asked a question to all my friends and acquaintances on Facebook and Twitter. Basically what I wanted to know was, "If you could describe your Worst Case Scenario in life...what would it be?" While I received a ton of feedback - many different responses - there seemed to be a common thread running throughout: selflessness! I didn't hear or read a lot of "To find out I have cancer" or "To have my life savings taken from me" or "Getting fired from my job". Mainly it was parents longing for their kids to outlive them and to never have to suffer the agony of making the same mistakes they had made. And Christians who have been praying for a family member or friend to come to know Christ - paralyzed over the idea that their loved one may choose NOT to choose to follow Christ. While I believed in the months leading up to this series that it would be meaningful, I can honestly say I had no idea how deeply it would resonate.

To give you an idea of the topics we tackled, here is the rundown from the series:
"A Broken Marriage" - When Divorce Hits Home
"Losing Someone You Love" - Facing Death
"You're Fired!" - Losing Your Job
"When 'Plan A' Fails" - When Life Doesn't Work Out The Way We Expected
"You're Not Ready" - Christ is returning. Are You Prepared?
"A Wasted Life" - Life Is a Race We're Called to Finish!

We very appropriately wrapped this series yesterday with the acknowledgement that not one of us would want to reach the end of our life and realize that we had wasted this precious time and opportunity the Lord has given us to make a difference - to make an impact for the Kingdom of God. And while we're running this race, the way we endure is by "keeping our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith". We have to FIX our eyes on Him. We run with purpose and intent! And we run knowing that OUR race is going to make an impact on the way that others are running. I love what Paul says to his friends in Philippians 1:24, "...it's better for you that I live." Paul expresses how deeply he would love to be with Christ, but a peace and confidence in knowing that it was actually better for his friends that he go on living. I want to be living a life that would allow me to look at those around me and say, "It's better for you that I live!" 

What's your Worst Case Scenario? Did we miss it?
Do any of these topics or subjects hit home harder than others?
We'd love to hear about it. I'm guessing this series may return again.
At the end of it all, I really believe that our confidence in Romans 8:28 - and our deep understanding of Paul's words - are where our hope truly lies: "We know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purposes for them." 
Everything!

No comments: