August 13, 2009

Free? or FREE-FREE?

Things seem to be a bit broke right now, right? The economy is trying to crawl out of the tank. Someone you know - or maybe you - has lost their job. Times are tight. But times are good! These times are when we get creative, innovative - when we start simplifying again and asking, "What is truly essential and important?"

As I've thought & prayed over this for awhile now, I've come to at least one conclusion: the basic gifts & freedoms of our faith do not depend on the economy! While I'm very aware that our salvation & our faith came at an enormous price to Christ, the very basic freedoms we have b/c of it don't cost me a penny. There is no one waiting to charge me for reading my Bible. I don't get a bill for my prayers - the more you pray the more you pay. (That was a catchy slogan though!) The most basic beneficial gifts I have in my everyday life from the Lord - to commune with Him through His Word and in prayer - are free! Period.

Oh, but wait. I stand corrected. It will cost me some time. Possibly I'll have to turn off the XM in the car. Might have to give up some time watching TV or playing Wii. But come on - we don't seriously even consider this a viable argument. Do we?

I think we're also skeptics. There's nothing out there FREE today! There's a catch to everything - the fine print. We've moved into double-word territory. You know: Free? Do you mean FREE-FREE? or just FREE? Yes. I mean FREE. Take it. Run. No one will chase you. It's yours.

This goes back to these same age-old questions that we seem to be asking over and over - from one generation to the next. We grow so weary of having someone ask us if we're spending time in the Word. But maybe our annoyance stems from our disobedience. Maybe we get so sick of hearing that we need to pray b/c even though we know we should - and we even know that WE would benefit from it more than anyone - we continue to ignore the ache. We've rationalized that what is probably the pull of the Holy Spirit is just the annoying nag of my pastor. Will he ever shut up about this?

I'm pretty sure you know the answer to that one!

If you're so thankful for your freedoms - if you're patriotic - if you're grateful for the freedom of your faith and to pursue the God that created you - I would ask you: ARE YOU EXERCISING YOUR FREEDOMS?

If not, get off your dead butt and do something! NOW!
That is all.

Psalm 119:9-11 (Actually, just read the whole chapter!)
Hebrews 5:11-6:3
Matthew 4:4
Philippians 4:6-7
1 Thessalonians 5:17
Luke 18:1-8

No comments: