December 25, 2008

The Best Gift

This Christmas morning the thing that left the biggest impression on me was my daughter - her selflessness and the joy she found in giving to others. I don't know what 6 year olds are supposed to act or think like - I have nothing else to gauge it on - but I watched as my daughter very gratefully opened her gifts, gave hugs and thanks, and then delighted in giving the gifts she had made to her family.

Over these last weeks she has been tirelessly working on cards, crafts, and other handmade gifts that are of little monetary value, but those of us on the receiving end consider priceless. The card my daughter made me will probably be the highlight of my Christmas...the best gift!

I keep asking the Lord to birth within me this selflessness and joy that comes from the blessing of giving myself to others. This is Christmas.

No comments: