December 7, 2007

Strolling Down Memory Lane

We arrived at my parents house in Arlington last night. I got up this morning to go for my last run before the marathon. It was a pretty intense and memorable 4-5 miles.

First off, when we left Wichita yesterday it was about 35. When I left to go running at 8am it was already 65 and humid. Just one of the reasons why I don't mind not living in Texas anymore! My run took me for a jog down memory lane. Some of the memories good, others I'd rather forget.

I went past a church parking lot where so many of my friends in high school would go to hang out and drink. Yes, you heard me right. And don't think that memory wasn't screaming in my face. It was like the enemy was ready for me with signs and flashing lights saying, "Remember what you used to do here loser!?" Ouch.

I went past the rec center where I worked for so many summers in college. This is where I met Morgan and fell in love with her. Lots of great memories there. And the rec center is just a block from the house I grew up in (maybe that "grew up" statement has an unfinished tone to it!) and my elementary school. I was running down some of the streets that Kevin James and I would ride our skateboards and bikes on everyday of the summer. And then there was Bailey Junior High School. Man, did I know how to get in trouble at that school! As I was running in front of the school a mom was going to her car. She jokingly said, "You don't look like you go to Bailey!" I kept running and yelled back to her, "Not for 25 years!" Again, ouch.

I got back and was still a little hung up on this whole running by my bad memories thing. I sat down at the table to read my Bible. I've been reading through Romans and I'm now to chapter 8. I start reading and the very first verse of Romans 8 tells us that "Now there is NO condemnation for those of us who are in Christ Jesus." This weight I had jogged with for 30 minutes was immediately lifted off of me. Jesus was saying, "You keep bringing that up...but I don't know what you're talking about. I threw it in the sea."

I don't know what you might be running with, carrying it on your back or in your heart, but God says to you, "Lay it down, walk away, and don't come back to it. I'm throwing it away." That's freedom. That's the essence of our hope and peace.

So, in 48 hours I'll be pounding the streets of Dallas running the White Rock Marathon. The forecast is 68 and rain. I'm definitely not excited about that. I'd rather it be 45-50 and sunny. But at least I'll be running without that weight on my back!

No comments: