December 3, 2007

Feast or Famine?

This past weekend was such a huge reminder and encouragement that the longing in my life for peace, satisfaction, hope, purpose and connecting & communing with my Creator will only be met through the time I spend "feasting" on His word (as my friend Nathan Jones likes to put it).

I watched many students this weekend who were visibly shaken, convicted and renewed by God. Many of them commented that "I felt closer to God this weekend than I have in a long time." My hope for them (any you) is that we get a clue and realize that it comes as we draw near to God - as we seek the truth of His Word and let it seap into the cracks of our soul. These feelings will go away. It's not an "if" but a "when". And when they go away, if your heart is not set on His Word, you will all of a sudden start wondering, "Where did God go?"

He doesn't go anywhere. We do! Our hearts wander - they run off chasing things that will fade away. I think of the words from Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing: "Prone to wander, Lord I feel it. Prone to leave the God I love. Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above." And the way God "seals our heart" is through the power of His Word. Period.

So, are you feasting on every word of life and hope and purpose He has placed at His table for you? Or are you withering away through your own self-inflicted famine? It's your choice. Come join me at the table and let's dig in.

No comments: