November 14, 2007

Shake it up!

So here I am, sitting in my office...staring at the screen...sitting in this same black chair...tick tock...tick tock.... Is it just me or do we all get in this funk every now and then where we feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day? I'm looking around thinking, "When did I let all this junk start piling up on my desk? Why are those stupid boxes still sitting in the corner? Why on God's green earth do I have a pair of roller blades in my office? Am I here? Is this really me?" Sort of sounds like a Talking Heads song.

I pride myself in being an advocate and an agent of change - in my life and in the lives of people around me. But there are times you just seem to let it go and all of a sudden...there you are. In the funk. Floating on your back in the cesspool of complacency, enjoying a siesta. Could someone get me one of those drinks with an umbrella in it?

So I've decided that it's time once again for some change. Those who've worked with me or been around me enough know that when this happens it's best to stand at a distance and look out for flying objects. I'm not sure what will have to go...or what will have to change...but something's gotta give.

This is who we are. We get comfortable and if we don't do something about it the rest is history. Not the kind of history you read about in books, but the kind that causes you to wake up one day and wonder, "When did I start wearing these ugly pants and combing my hair this way? And why has no one stopped me?"

I beg of you - WAKE UP! Shake it up. Throw yourself a curve ball (if that can actually be done) and shock some life back into the soul.
And by the way, does anyone need a pair of roller blades?

No comments: