September 17, 2009

Amazing!

Isn't God amazing? I am constantly in awe of His handiwork - by how His power, creativity, and love of the unique are everywhere around us. And to go further, when you realize that the same God that spoke the universe into existence and knit you together in your mother's womb also loves you with an unshakeable love...that should leave you nearly breathless. From the stars to the trees to the oceans to the Psalms, His praise is resonating all around us! Now let me see if I can make you're head spin around with this next one.

Are you amazing? Have you ever left God speechless? Do you think that the Creator ever paused - stopped - and took notice of you? You might be surprised.

In Luke 7 there's a story about a high-ranking Roman officer whose slave was very sick - on the verge of death. He heard Jesus was nearby so "he sent some respected Jewish leaders to ask Jesus to come and heal his slave." Jesus is on the way there and the officer sends some friends out to tell Jesus, "Lord, I'm not worthy of such an honor...to come and meet you. Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed." The next part is where it gets really insanely cool!

"When Jesus heard this, He was amazed."

Jesus stops dead in His tracks and tells the crowd around Him, "I tell you, I haven't seen faith like this in all the land of Israel!" And when the officer's friends got back to his house, the slave was completely healed. 

I'm floored! This man's faith - his complete trust and belief that this man Jesus Christ was the Great Physician - his faith that the love of God is an indescribable thing - amazed Jesus. Amazing! This is what I want my life and my faith to look like. This is what I want my heart and my decisions and my character to do to my Savior. I want Him to take notice! Not so I can have a grand pat on the back or a shiny medal, but because we have to know that when we live a life like that, it's going to eradicate the darkness and reveal the love of God to those around us. It changes us! It changes others! Faith changes things!

Are you amazing? Not sure how you answer that question, but you need to know that as a follower of Jesus Christ, you can be!

No comments: